Nov 28, 2011

(un)happy endings

It's weird how sometimes, things just pop in your head. But these moments often lead to good, usually creative, ideas, right? Well, I had an idea.

The image of The Little Match Girl suddenly flashed through my mind. You know that sudden thoughts that sometimes make no sense or just come out of nowhere? I immediately confirmed with my sister the manner of death of the girl, and it's one sad way to go. Isn't the story a fairytale? If it was, then it should have had a happy ending, right? Maybe it wasn't. That was probably the saddest story I have ever read during my younger years.

The idea I had was continuing the story, or somehow altering something about the story. I don't know why but, however sad it was (it's friggin' heartbreaking, dammit), it is actually good...I think. I know I used to have the book, but I rarely still have the things I owned from childhood. So, I would definitely hunt for a copy; if I would work on the idea, I first have to reacquaint myself with the whole story. I don't remember much, other than she sells on the street and strikes a match to warm herself. Then she eventually dies. Hah.

The only problem though, is I have no idea what I would do with the story. I'm not sure if I want it to have a happy ending, maybe change her death to be less sad and alone? Or her story could be my inspiration in making my own Match Girl. I don't know. We'll see.

I talk as if I'm any good at making (mending?) stories, but I'm not. It's just an idea, and I do hope I can think of something and get to it! That would be nice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment