Sep 26, 2011

Book fair...not (but close)

I’m still quite bitter, sad, even hurt (OA much) that I wasn’t able to attend Manila International Book Fair this year. Well, I could’ve, but I won’t really be able to buy anything as I’ve been penniless for almost 6 months now. So there’s no point of going, unless I want my eyes and heart to suffer even more.The books being sold at the book fair usually have 20% (some higher) slashed off its usual price. Even then, I won’t be able to buy even one with my own money. Yes, I’m that poor right now. If you can’t afford regular-priced books or even book fairs as such, head to a used books store! I coerced le family to give me a bit of cash, and headed to the nearest Booksale. Hence, I was still able to get some books! Six of them, actually:


I bought this one solely because of its pretty cover. Yes, sometimes I judge a book by its cover. I didn’t even bother finding out what it’s about. I removed the tag ‘coz it spoils the wallpaper errr.. the cover. Heh. This is the first one I picked up. Price: P20


I’ve never encountered or heard about this book. It’s a bit intriguing so I picked it up as well. Price: P45


Never heard of this one either. Another pretty cover :3 I removed the tag on this one as well. Price: P75


Again, never heard haha. I bought the first three first, then went back to buy The Gathering. I was a bit horrified when I couldn’t find it. Someone must’ve bought it while I’m pondering on whether I should buy it as well. HMP. I picked this up instead. Yes, I had to buy something in lieu of the lost book. The title reminds me of The Book Thief’s “Death” but their stories are far from similar. Price: P20

Suddenly, after I paid for this and had one last look at the books on the display window, I saw this:


I’ve been meaning to buy this for the longest time! Also has a pretty cover. I couldn’t get in again as the store’s already closing up. I was actually the last customer and they’re already cleaning up while I’m searching for The Gathering. I haaaaaaaad to come back. And I wished so hard that nobody will dare snatch this up again before I came back for it.

I came back the day after, and alas, it was no longer on the display shelf. All the other books on the shelf were replaced as well. I asked the cashier where they were, and he said that they’re on the regular shelves. There’s still hope. HEH. I found this pretty fast. I was so relieved. Finally, something to cross out on my to-buy list! :D Price: P145 (My friend paid for this one, as a birthday present. Hihi)

As I was looking for it, I found this:


Another one from my to-buy list! Ain’t I lucky? Hah. I told myself that I should only buy what I came back for, but how could I resist? Plus my friend paid for A Long Way Down so I can still buy this with the money intended for the former. If I saw these two first though, I don’t think I would be buying all those I bought earlier. The bad but not-so-bad thing about going to Booksale is even though I intend to buy only those from my list, I end up buying never-heard books as well. If I don’t find anything from my list, I still end up buying others just so I don’t come out empty-handed. Haha! Price: 145

Total money spent: P305. My own book fair. I’m a happy fool!

- – -

I was eyeing The Lord of the Rings trilogy boxed set, but I can’t afford it at the time. I hope I can buy that soon :/ Wait for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment